Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Don't hate Kate

My inspiration for this week's blog came just after writing about Jersey Shore last week when I turned on E! True Hollywood Story: Kate Gosselin. I had almost forgotten about the hot mama from Pennsylvania trying to raise eight kids on her own (very different from Octamom). Watching the twists and turns of Kate's celebrity played with my emotions yet again, just like Jon's play dates with the babysitters.

I have never been afraid to admit that I am a fan of Kate Gosselin. I'm not a mother, so I don't know what it's like to have children or raise them. My guess is that it is hard and you would get grouchy if you had to listen to nine children whine (let's remember that Jon was two years her junior). I worked at enough day camps and children centres to know that when one starts to cry, the whole balance of a room can get be thrown off balance. But this isn't about the kids-- it's about the woman behind the kids.


I do not have money or anything to call my own except for my Jon and Kate Plus Eight DVD's and Kate Gosselin's book "Multiple Blessings", so if someone came to me with an idea for a reality television show that will do two things: 1) Make me enough money to support my family (whenever that happens); and 2) Provide me with unique opportunities I wouldn't have before; then yes, I would ensure that my face is always in the public eye. She has said numerous times, even after Jon ordered a cease and desist order for TLC to stop filming, that she does the show, the guest appearances, and Dancing with the Stars to make money to support her children. Someone has to.

That is one common theme every reality show has: the people on the show want money. I believe that's the true reality of this show. How did Jon and Kate expect to support eight children on the salary of a part-time nurse and computer IT guy? I thank my parents for everything they gave me, knowing they had to work extra hard to support four kids who wanted to play baseball and soccer and football, and have a car and go to university and eat. So when I watch Kate parading her children around, I keep it in my head that she is doing this for their kids (insert raving rants here).

We all know what happens next. In the end of the fourth season, Jon and Kate questioned whether they would be back for a fifth season. Jon stated: "I don't get to be just Jon. I have to be Jon and Kate Plus 8." Congratulations Jon, you win. You can have your babysitters and wear Ed Hardy while talking to the cameras about what you think is best for your kids. But the show is now Kate Plus 8 and you were (as of the twentieth of January) working for a real estate company. Keep fighting to have the show taken off the air; in the mean time, Kate will support the kids with her $250,000 an episode.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you Ron, Kate is trying to support her children, especially now as a single mother. Not only does she make a ton of money per episode but she is able to see her kids everyday. If I was a mom of 8 kids I would love for TLC came knocking on my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Kate, but she's overly dominant. I paid tribute to her in my blog this week. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the post directly above mine. Kate is a tough woman, but I suppose you have to be if you have eight children. Although I may not have signed on a television show as she did, I certainly understand why she did. Clearly, she loves her children very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the fact that she loves her children but do you think she is taking it a bit too far thought? To me the kids are like Kate's cash cow, from which she has sold books, started new reality shows and has had a lot media coverage/ paparazzi. I don't see an end in sight...and its sad, I feel bad for the kids.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think she's doing all she can to survive at this point. Because she received so much attention from the start, and events have occurred that have escalated her public appearances, she can't get out now. It's hard for someone to leave the spotlight when they've been in it for so long.

    I hate that the kids are being exposed to this world and hope that Kate can find something that will subsidize her income from the reality show about her family. It'd be better if Kate was a mom who made money on her own, but she's realized that Cara, Mady, Alexis, Hannah, Aaden, Collin, Leah and Joel are her income, a.k.a "cash cows", and she needs the money to support them.

    ReplyDelete