Monday, April 11, 2011

Canada needs more reality TV

When I was 10 I wanted to be on the Canadian show "Uh-Oh", which (for those who don't remember) was a children's game show in which contestants spun a wheel, answered questions, played fun games, and got slime poured on them--how cool is that?!

When I was 13 I wanted to be on Survivor; at 14 I wanted to be on Big Brother; at 16 I wanted to be on The Amazing Race--do you see a pattern here? With the growth of reality television shows I want to be part of the phenomena as a contestant. It was not my 15 minutes or a guest spot on The King of Queens that pulled me into the trend, but it was the games themselves that have always intrigued me.

When I was 19 I wanted to learn to dance to be on So You Think You Can Dance or learn to cook and become a great chef to be on Top Chef. Now that these shows are offered in Canada, my talents are not honed in enough to be able to compete, but that's alright by me. I still want the chance to prove myself on one of the above shows but the producers of those shows own North American rights to the adventure shows, but only produce American content. In my eyes that's not fair, and somewhat discriminatory. Since Survivor's start in 2000 Canada has been watching carefully as the contestants outwit, outplay and outlast each other for the 13 week program, and the show always ranks in the top 10 each week. Last year's edition of Heroes vs. Villains saw the show ranking higher than the first round of the NHL playoffs-- doesn't that say something?

When Wipeout Canada was auditioning for its northern edition, I immediately applied and searched for fun things that could get me on the show. Sadly I did not make it but am excited to be watching the series, besides how tacky it is with the product placement and over-theatrics of the contestants. Top Chef Canada premieres tonight and I'll be watching the series, after each food so I don't get too hungry. But if these shows are making it to Canada it's time Mark Burnett gets off his high horse, stops picking contestants that no one likes (Fiji is all I'll say) and get some Canadians on there. Why not a Canada vs. United States battle? It'll show true patriotism on both teams and get great ratings between the two countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment