Monday, April 18, 2011

I'm Not Ignoring American Idol

As the title suggests I am not ignoring American Idol--I just have nothing to say about the show.

I have been professing that I watch all reality television shows when that is not entirely true. My credibility may be shot, but I hate watching singing shows like American Idol. I watched the first couple seasons to see what the fuss was all about but after seeing the "idols" perform, I knew I did not idolize anyone from the show. Simon, Randy and Paula, at their peak, were hilarious and insightful; after a few years, Simon and Paula became bitter and it was not fun to watch. I will sit next to a railway track to see the trainwreck.

The success of the Idol contestants is not extremely high for a show that gets the top ratings in the United States. Besides the few that have succeed to tell their story, there are hundreds of others who are as talented that fall off the stage. Besides the regular 15 minutes each gets in the spotlight, what's the success in saying you were an American Idol contestant? Just as much success as saying you were a Canadian Idol contestant, I guess.

Right now the drama surrounding the shocking eliminations shows just how the voting system works for the show, which ruins the show. If the judges were smart, they would not have saved Casey Abrams and waited for Pia Toscano to be in danger. Look at Sanjaya Malakar: he outlasted many others to the disappointment of the judges and Seacrest, but it was America's decision.

It goes back to my bias against letting the fans vote, but talent competitions are different from adventure series. Rewarding the true victor should lead to their futher success, but if they are going to fade fast then it's the fault of the judges for selecting a dud.

2 comments:

  1. Have you been watching the show with Christina Aguliera as a judge? Has it even started yet? lol All the previews looked pretty cool but I haven't heard to much about it in the last few weeks. I wonder what happened...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to check it out when it starts but don't know if I'll get into it. You never know, though!

    ReplyDelete