Friday, March 4, 2011

Dancing with the "Stars"?

I have developed a great admiration for the people who compete on dance shows, especially celebrities. Celebrity reality television shows are supposed to be easy (e.g. Celebrity Rehab), with little challenges that don't harm them and the filming doesn't take longer than a few days. Dancing with the Stars isn't that.

DWTS has become a Monday night ritual, like how The Bachelor is for some people. With the creation of the newest celebrity status -- Reality TV Star -- we are seeing a wide range of personalities on the series. Last year was my favourite by far: who knew that Mike "the Situation" Sorrentino could make it that far (the people of Jersey Shore, that's who); or that Kate Gosselin could "dance"? The fact is that reality TV stars aren't trained professionals, so it'll be hard for them to make it to the finals (Bristol Palin is an exception: she's not a reality star, she's a "teen activist"). Jennifer Grey did not surprise me last year, and overall I thought the cast was something to look forward to each week. This year may be different.

This year's cast is hard to explain because the names aren't that familiar. Rather than take celebrities who need a boost in their careers, ABC and DWTS's producers have reached out to current popular names and some old favourites who could use a little touch-up. I had to think twice before I realized who Wendy Williams or Kendra Wilkinson was, but to hear that Kirstie Alley, Chris Jericho, and Ralph Macchio are on the show made my day. Those are classic names, all with interesting resumes; I cannot say the same for Chelsea Kane (still trying to figure out who that person is). I think the reality competition shows, or the few that are left, need to keep bringing back names of people we enjoyed from the past and not from our present. Celebrity Apprentice 4 is airing on Sunday and Gary Busey, LaToya Jackson, and Star Jones are all revving up the audiences for a drama-filled season. I hope DWTS can do the same with their almost famous cast.

6 comments:

  1. Ron, I find your posts interesting and funny. As soon as I saw the title for this one I also thought about "the situation" and unless I read your post I only knew of Kirstie Alley. My favourite part of this post is calling Bristol Palin a teen activist! hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the exact same thing, Ron, when they announced who was going to be on the show. The only two people I know are Kendra Wilkinson and Kirstie Alley. I'm sure the ratings will flop this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay way to bring back the WWE Chris Jericho!!....I'd also like to sidenote how happy I was that Jennifer Grey refused to dance to "Time of my life" because that was hers and Patrick Swayze's song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't normally watch DWTS, but I am also so excited that Kirstie Alley is competing. I absolutely love her, she is so funny and adorable. I think I am going to have to watch it this season just for that reason alone. I also have no idea who Chelsea Kane is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the few reality tv shows that I am more familiar with - the only time I watched regularly was when Kate G. was on because I had to see her attempt the latest dance moves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this show and me and my grandparents watch it all the time, this season is going to be gooood.

    ReplyDelete