Monday, March 7, 2011

In the Real World

On Saturday I came across a new Canadian reality television show, specifically for kids: In Real Life. It's an Amazing Race-style show where nine teams of two, between the ages of 12 and 14, compete in "experience challenges" that are based on a chosen occupation. The kids, all from Canada, must complete these tasks in order to move onto the next "experience." From my research I discovered I am watching the first season, while the second season is currently underway and aired at an earlier hour.

The first season, so far, has taken the group of 18 to Atlanta, Georgia, where they completed tasks at a race car track: go-karting around a regulation NASCAR track, changing an air filter, tires and fueling a race car, and racing around a track at 240 km/hr to find three flags; the second took place in Florida at an alligator farm, where the teams had to collect baby alligators, one adult alligator, carry rats to a feeding yard filled with giant alligators, then race to the observation deck. At this point, the green team (Jesse, Barrie, and Carlisee, Toronto) were eliminated, and another reward was given out and a "wrench", as in "throw a wrench into the situation", was given out to slow down another teams progress in the next "experience."


I know that was a long explanation but you, my readers, should know the show and now watch it. I am purely jealous of these kids for two reasons: 1) they get to do these cool jobs I didn't even dream of as a kid, but now think it would be really awesome to do now; 2) They get to compete on a reality tv show that's in Canada! After watching this I know now I was born either way before my time or way after my time, in the wrong location.

But that's what I love about this show is that they are opening opportunities for these eighteen to experience different, if not life-threatening, jobs. All I had when I was their age was bring a kid to work day (I got to be a principal), and would have loved to had a chance to try out cool and interesting jobs. With only four weeks away until I enter that "real world" I only hope I get to test drive a cool, out-of-the-ordinary job. If PR is what it's shaping up to be, then I guess I'll definitely get my fix.

3 comments:

  1. Ron - that sounds like a very cool show! And what a great idea to cater a reality show towards kids. Not only will it help the actual participants test out creative jobs, but thousands of kids watching from home will gain inspiration as well. I will have to tune into an episode and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ron,

    I never thought reality shows would become as popular as they've become. I wonder if the number reality shows for kids will continue to grow and there will be less cartoons etc. in the future... hmm interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Britt, it does sound like a pretty cool show! I'll have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete