Monday, March 14, 2011

...then came Craftsman

Elisabeth enjoys Doritos and a Dew.
I want to get this blog post in before the next episode of Survivor and we have to meet a new Sears product. The immunity challenge last week involved Craftsman products from Sears, in which the castaways had to use a shovel, an ax, two saws, and a hammer to cut through the course's obstacles. It was the first time since Survivor Palau where the castaways used the products in the challenge. Typically the product placement occurs less-subtly in the rewards, where the castaways get Doritos, Charmin products, Coca-Cola, either a Ford, Saturn, Pontiac or Chevy. This was my favourite implementation of a product into a show.

Product placement is the lazy man's advertising. In all actuality, it's smart for producers to have the products in the show. Similar to the start of television soap operas when the housewife would use a certain brand of soap products to sell to the audience, reality television shows have jumped onboard to this form of advertising--they've even started to steer the cart.

It's Coke , Dawg.
Last year I wrote an essay on this topic, and I was not shocked to find that Survivor, the Biggest Loser (B.L.), and American Idol were the top three shows that used product placements. The placements are not subtle either: the top ten Idols in the first season appeared in a Ford commercial, and to this day the judges drink out of Coca-Cola cups; Survivor lets castaways win a call home on an Sprint phone, which also sponsors their website; the Biggest Loser trains the contestants in an Anytime Fitness gym, and the B.L. books, t-shirts and fitness materials are found throughout the campus.

It's just going to get stronger, as regular television shows are having small product placements appear. In movies it's second nature when no one realizes the reason a Mac in front of Alec Baldwin's naked body in "It's Complicated" was because Mac paid for the computer to be there. Apple ranked number one in product placements in movies in 2010; Apple appeared in 10 of the top films to rank number one in the box office, with 30 per cent share ("Shocker! Apple product placements dominate hollywood"). It's difficult to find a show out there, that hasn't ranked number one in ratings, to be without product placement. If you can find one, I'll shake your hand.

6 comments:

  1. When product placement was first evident on TV shows, I was pretty intrigued by it. Like you, Ron, I vividly remember the Doritos & Mountain Dew "rewards" and I believe it was the Pontiac Aztek that really partnered strongly with Survivor way back in the Australia(?) season.

    Now, given what we know about product placement, along with having it thrown in our faces left and right through every possible avenue, I'm starting to find it almost as annoying as the traditional 30-second commercials themselves. Oftentimes, product placement inclusion seems to take away from the actual plot/theme/message of the program itself, and in my opinion, tends to cheapen the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at a website with the top product placements on television, and I actually found that more dramatic, regular programming has product placement. It can be really annoying when someone mentions how much they love their new car or new phone. South Park is horrible for that, like when the characters were playing World of Warcraft and the episode was paid by the creators of the program.

    It's a great way for the shows to make money, but it irritates the audiences by being forced to watch the advertisements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post Ron! I think we have almost become oblivious to product placement, as we are faced with so much of it. Unless I am making a concerted effort to notice product placement I find that I simply do not notice it. Maybe its subconscious, but I think it is important for us to be aware of product placement and how different shows are using it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a lot of shows and films out there that are obvious about their use of product placement. Some shows will have it and no one will notice it. I think, now I can't be certain, that Jersey Shore advertises for the Shore Store and the makers of Escalades. Everyone needs shirts and everyone needs cars, but it's a matter of wondering why the people on the show are using those products.

    It's never a random choice on television--someone has paid to get their product used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a love hate relationship with product placement. I rather have the placement then have a series of commercials interrupting my show, but when it is blatantly thrown in my face it ruins the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone else notice how product placement is now being used like crazy in music videos? I am used to them being in movies and on television but do artists really need to use them in their videos? The worst for me is Britney Spears and The Black Eyed Peas.

    ReplyDelete